Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Week 5 Tuesday: Results of Research and Meeting with Gadsby

Background Research:

So from the results of my rough story-boarding critique, I realized I needed to really reseach into older lighthouse run on oil and how they looked in previous centuries before electricity. It was the most obvious thing lacking in any of my story boards because I was subconsciously drawing around the lens (while inserting some crude icon for it) when in fact that is also one of the major characters of this story. Mostly what I looked into were Fresnel (fray-nel) lenses and carbide lamps. Many Fresnel lenses employed electricity but i was thinking of just replacing what would be the bulb with just a glass funnel and Nerine light the lens with an old fashioned carbide lamp (were extremely bright) like what was seen on old bicycles and even before that in lighthouses. Also I thought about the entire lens being rotated by a clocking mechanism that has to be rotated (by weight) every few hours which would show how high maintenance the lens is and show how easily it could be slightly inaccurate in rotation. I looked into size too. All lenses are measured by Order with the largest being 1st order (around 7'-8' tall) to 6th order (1.5" tall). 1st - 3rd order lenses are used for coastlines and reach the greatest distance. 4th - 6th are used for harbor areas and have the short light range. I was thinking of the lens being somewhere around a 4th order or roughly 3' tall but up on a pedestal column in the center of the room. One of the glass panes on the lens would open revealing the gears and lighting mechanisms.


Interview with Gadsby:

I went to meet with Gadsby about how think schedule-wise in seeking internships and resume mock ups. She suggested to me to look into really trying to have a remote internship in the Spring semester around here in Memphis while still enrolled. My plan is to still at the least have a Summer internship. I'm strongly considering furthering my education in the Fall with possibly trying to get a Masters or at least a certificate school. Many of the places I'm drawn to are in California and are very expensive so there's a lot to consider and weigh in on to decide my best options. As of right now Gadsby just wanted to focus on interning somewhere to at least have that experience before I leave. Right now I'm investigating local Memphis businesses. Also she helped me with my resume as to catering it for this particular field which I've haven't really done yet. Apparently what I had so far was good but I needed to cut out things that weren't directly related to getting me hired at an animation company like just other retail job experience details. While they're nice to include to show dedication and reliability, they don't need to be in detail as the main focus is on my skills as an animator and what I can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment