Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Week 3: Thursday Demo/job research Blog posts

The demo reels that were posted were all over the place in terms of timing. I felt the most successful ones were between 35 s - 2 mins. Anything over that I could easily feel my interest waning. Also I would actually hesitate to click on them just knowing how long they were beforehand; similar to when you see that you have to read pages of text to understand a concept. You naturally don't want to do it and I can imagine with companies that have to look through reels everyday. The second they see that your reel is like 5 mins then they think if you can't tell me why I should hire you in 2 mins or less then we'll move on to someone who can. I noticed many people picked 3D work including myself. However I noticed that many of the videos were specifically about modeling or texturing which I found odd since most of the class is doing 2D based work and therefore wouldn't have to worry about modeling/texturing. Some of the 3D reels that cover character designs and animation are fine or effectively showcase a tight reel or weak one. I feel though that most 3D reels look very similar and after awhile I would get them confused. Basically I felt individual personalities were lost on some of these. Also the best videos included a variety of content that showcased different skills but ultimately felt related and displayed their personal interests. The ones that didn't work involved basically one piece, or very few, and had an agonizingly slow pacing combined with choppy, awkward transitions. They often had little carry-through in the transitions whether its matching actions or fading in and out.

The job research mostly involved linking to high level jobs. Very few people looked into internships or if it was then it was just like one. All the others were full time, dream jobs. These are nice to have a goal to work towards but what about what to work on in the meantime? From what I've seen most of these jobs look like a much higher level of skills than I imagine we have now. Many of these jobs would only benefit from already working in the industry and are ready for director titles. Also many people just inserted links with nothing else to go on until you click on the link and quickly try to scan the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment