Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 10: BFA Critique and Self-Critique of 5 Minute Presentation

A. Sketch of Nerine


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbL2POzy14

The Fish


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-txF42X9s


For this week I had just finished my Animatic and decided to immediately take my character sketches and peg and rig them even though I haven't received feedback on my final Animatic. The video of Nerine isn't very long and the movements are subtle. I was trying to just convey mostly how the rigging of her hair would work with also for myself quickly making a puppet that I could understand the hierarchy of her body parts. This is in no way finished but I just wanted to quickly see what I'd further be developing with her.
As for The Fish, he isn't colored but I wanted to quickly try and see how he moves. I imagine him as very serpent-like and mostly moves with his jaw always thrust outwards. This also is a very rough video that in no way is finished but just a quick study sketch of how his body would function swimming.

Calendar Update



B. Self Critique of 5 Minute Presentation

Mostly what I gathered wasn't working from my presentation last Thursday, wasn't the visuals or how I structured them (nor what I said during them) but what I said. First of all I mentioned loving cartoons and consuming them as a child which was not the best since many other children did like wise and didn't choose to become an animator. It would have been better if I stated that there were these shows or animators that suck with me until later in my life and how they influenced me because then it highlights how I am different from most people when they become adults, that they leave things like cartoons in their past. Basically if I had stated that these carried over into my teenage years and adulthood and how I still consider them now, it would have been a more successful comparison. I didn't say enough sepcifics about which cartoons I watched either. I did state programs like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon and animators like Tex Avery and Bob Clampett and obviously the major Disney pictures of the era but I didn't say much more. For instance I said that I enjoyed both golden era cartoons from Tex Avery but also the modern cartoons on Cartoon Network but didn't give very specific examples. Also I mentioned "Experimental Mixed Media" but didn't say something that would give a specific visual such as a commercial or show that would illustrate that.
When I started into what I came to MCA for I stated that it was originally for 3D Computer Animation and mention that a few times before making the comparison to how now I don't want to wholly focus on that. I should have just left this part out entirely because then it sounds like I'm not ready to let that idea go and move forward or that I'm not dedicated to what I'm working on now. If its in the past then I just need to leave it there and not tell the interviewer this information. I ended this comparison by saying that I decided to "fall back on 2D animation" which sounds negative and as if 2D animation isn't considered as much of a priority as 3D animation was which doesn't sound good trying to get a job at an animation firm. Some of the good things I said that made people listen or take notice of was "that I want to make character driven narratives" and " I like working in groups." When I said them, I said them with confidence which I need to have more of overall. Finally I finished up my presentation with what kind of job I am looking for or my dream job and used my Traveling Fellowship research as an example. We apparently shouldn't try to keep including our Traveling research from now on since that was just specifically related to this assignment but I think mine made more since because it was more incorporated and less tacked on. What I said at this point about what kind of content I want to make at a production company that is known for dealing with "child-like content in a bent and grotesque, adult manner" should have been stated earlier. I should have something along those lines and come to that conclusion when showing my demo reel and then weave it throughout my presentation so the interviewer has a clear idea of what I'm about. Then at the end I could relate it back to what I'm looking for in a job and what I'm interested in further pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment